From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Shrimp top a delicious saute of fennel, scallions and feta in this version of saganaki. A saganaki is a shallow, two-handled skillet that is one of the most traditional cooking vessels in Greece. Saganaki is also the fried cheese, made in the pan, that is one of Greece's most famous appetizers.
- 12 jumbo shrimp, (6-8 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and finely chopped
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small chile pepper, such as jalapeño or serrano, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay, preferably Greek
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or “saganaki” pan) over medium heat. Add fennel, scallions and chile pepper and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in wine. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Place the shrimp on top of the fennel mixture, cover and cook until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, feta and pepper to the pan and stir until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Serve the shrimp atop the fennel mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make 1 pound. For example, “6-8 count” means there will be 6 to 8 shrimp in a pound. Shrimp that size are usually labeled “jumbo.” Prawns will also work well in this recipe.
Per serving: 239 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 227 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 2 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- New Year's Eve
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008