Shrimp & Pesto Pasta
The spring flavors of asparagus and pesto combine beautifully with fettuccine and shrimp in a light and simple pasta dish that works for family or casual entertaining. Make it a meal: Serve with a tomato-and-arugula salad tossed with mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and fruit sorbet for dessert.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 303 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 115 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve