Shrimp & Pesto Pasta
The spring flavors of asparagus and pesto combine beautifully with fettuccine and shrimp in a light and simple pasta dish that works for family or casual entertaining. Make it a meal: Serve with a tomato-and-arugula salad tossed with mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and fruit sorbet for dessert.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 303 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 115 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve