Shrimp & Pesto Pasta
The spring flavors of asparagus and pesto combine beautifully with fettuccine and shrimp in a light and simple pasta dish that works for family or casual entertaining. Make it a meal: Serve with a tomato-and-arugula salad tossed with mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and fruit sorbet for dessert.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 303 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 115 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation