Shrimp & Pesto Pasta
The spring flavors of asparagus and pesto combine beautifully with fettuccine and shrimp in a light and simple pasta dish that works for family or casual entertaining. Make it a meal: Serve with a tomato-and-arugula salad tossed with mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and fruit sorbet for dessert.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions specify. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the fettuccine and asparagus and return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the reserved cooking water to the pasta; toss to coat. Season with pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 303 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 115 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (20% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique