Shrimp Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Rejer)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Baby shrimp and tangy lemon top thinly sliced rye bread in this easy Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 9 ounces cooked salad (or baby) shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into paper-thin wedges
- Combine mayonnaise, shallot, parsley, mustard and capers in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (or up to 1 day) to blend flavors.
- Spread 1 teaspoon on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a few shrimp and a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remoulade (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the assembled smÃ¸rrebrÃ¸d for up to 8 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 113 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008