Shrimp Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Rejer)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Baby shrimp and tangy lemon top thinly sliced rye bread in this easy Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 9 ounces cooked salad (or baby) shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into paper-thin wedges
- Combine mayonnaise, shallot, parsley, mustard and capers in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (or up to 1 day) to blend flavors.
- Spread 1 teaspoon on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a few shrimp and a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remoulade (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the assembled smÃ¸rrebrÃ¸d for up to 8 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 113 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008