Shrimp Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Rejer)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Baby shrimp and tangy lemon top thinly sliced rye bread in this easy Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 9 ounces cooked salad (or baby) shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into paper-thin wedges
- Combine mayonnaise, shallot, parsley, mustard and capers in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (or up to 1 day) to blend flavors.
- Spread 1 teaspoon on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a few shrimp and a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remoulade (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the assembled smÃ¸rrebrÃ¸d for up to 8 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 113 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008