Shrimp Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Rejer)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Baby shrimp and tangy lemon top thinly sliced rye bread in this easy Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 9 ounces cooked salad (or baby) shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into paper-thin wedges
- Combine mayonnaise, shallot, parsley, mustard and capers in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (or up to 1 day) to blend flavors.
- Spread 1 teaspoon on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a few shrimp and a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remoulade (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the assembled smÃ¸rrebrÃ¸d for up to 8 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 113 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008