Shrimp Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Rejer)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Baby shrimp and tangy lemon top thinly sliced rye bread in this easy Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød—which translates in Danish to "buttered bread"—are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 9 ounces cooked salad (or baby) shrimp
- 1 lemon, cut into paper-thin wedges
- Combine mayonnaise, shallot, parsley, mustard and capers in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (or up to 1 day) to blend flavors.
- Spread 1 teaspoon on each slice of bread. Top each piece with a few shrimp and a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remoulade (Step 1) for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the assembled smÃ¸rrebrÃ¸d for up to 8 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 113 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2008