Shrimp-Filled Spring Rolls
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
For a pretty touch, tie a strip of blanched scallion green around each packet.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, or sunflower sprouts
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 18 8-inch rice papers
- 1/2 cup Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Cook shrimp in boiling water just until curled and opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then chop.
- Combine the shrimp with sprouts, scallions, mint, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Soak 6 of the rice papers in a large bowl of very warm water until they are softened, about 30 seconds. Place them in a single layer on a clean dishtowel. Put a heaping tablespoonful of shrimp filling in the center of each rice paper and fold over all four edges to form a square, slightly flat packet. Repeat with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve with a small bowl of Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling up to 8 hours in advance. The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours ahead; wrap them in a damp kitchen towel, place them in a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator or a cooler.
Per serving: 209 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 1 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995