Shrimp-Filled Spring Rolls
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
For a pretty touch, tie a strip of blanched scallion green around each packet.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, or sunflower sprouts
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 18 8-inch rice papers
- 1/2 cup Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Cook shrimp in boiling water just until curled and opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then chop.
- Combine the shrimp with sprouts, scallions, mint, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Soak 6 of the rice papers in a large bowl of very warm water until they are softened, about 30 seconds. Place them in a single layer on a clean dishtowel. Put a heaping tablespoonful of shrimp filling in the center of each rice paper and fold over all four edges to form a square, slightly flat packet. Repeat with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve with a small bowl of Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling up to 8 hours in advance. The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours ahead; wrap them in a damp kitchen towel, place them in a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator or a cooler.
Per serving: 209 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 1 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995