Shrimp-Filled Spring Rolls
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
For a pretty touch, tie a strip of blanched scallion green around each packet.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, or sunflower sprouts
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 18 8-inch rice papers
- 1/2 cup Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Cook shrimp in boiling water just until curled and opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then chop.
- Combine the shrimp with sprouts, scallions, mint, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Soak 6 of the rice papers in a large bowl of very warm water until they are softened, about 30 seconds. Place them in a single layer on a clean dishtowel. Put a heaping tablespoonful of shrimp filling in the center of each rice paper and fold over all four edges to form a square, slightly flat packet. Repeat with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve with a small bowl of Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling up to 8 hours in advance. The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours ahead; wrap them in a damp kitchen towel, place them in a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator or a cooler.
Per serving: 209 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 1 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)