Shrimp-Filled Spring Rolls
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
For a pretty touch, tie a strip of blanched scallion green around each packet.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, or sunflower sprouts
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 18 8-inch rice papers
- 1/2 cup Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Cook shrimp in boiling water just until curled and opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then chop.
- Combine the shrimp with sprouts, scallions, mint, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Soak 6 of the rice papers in a large bowl of very warm water until they are softened, about 30 seconds. Place them in a single layer on a clean dishtowel. Put a heaping tablespoonful of shrimp filling in the center of each rice paper and fold over all four edges to form a square, slightly flat packet. Repeat with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve with a small bowl of Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling up to 8 hours in advance. The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours ahead; wrap them in a damp kitchen towel, place them in a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator or a cooler.
Per serving: 209 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 1 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995