Shrimp-Filled Spring Rolls
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
For a pretty touch, tie a strip of blanched scallion green around each packet.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, or sunflower sprouts
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 18 8-inch rice papers
- 1/2 cup Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Cook shrimp in boiling water just until curled and opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then chop.
- Combine the shrimp with sprouts, scallions, mint, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Soak 6 of the rice papers in a large bowl of very warm water until they are softened, about 30 seconds. Place them in a single layer on a clean dishtowel. Put a heaping tablespoonful of shrimp filling in the center of each rice paper and fold over all four edges to form a square, slightly flat packet. Repeat with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve with a small bowl of Rice-Wine Vinegar Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling up to 8 hours in advance. The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours ahead; wrap them in a damp kitchen towel, place them in a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator or a cooler.
Per serving: 209 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 1 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995