Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry
Diluting the rich coconut milk that is used in many Asian curries with evaporated skim milk reduces the saturated fat considerably. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cardamom; cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 2 minutes more. Reduce heat to low and add evaporated skim milk and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring to prevent scorching. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, uncovered, until the shrimp are pink and curled, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine lime juice and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to the shrimp mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 180 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 479 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique