Shrimp & Coconut Milk Curry
Diluting the rich coconut milk that is used in many Asian curries with evaporated skim milk reduces the saturated fat considerably. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cardamom; cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 2 minutes more. Reduce heat to low and add evaporated skim milk and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring to prevent scorching. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, uncovered, until the shrimp are pink and curled, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine lime juice and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to the shrimp mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 180 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 479 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood