While most Caesars drown the greens in a heavy dressing, this lemony version lets the taste of the shrimp shine through. Don't worry about the anchovies - they'll mellow in the dressing, giving it a rich taste that can't be duplicated.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, coarsely chopped, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine, (about 2 hearts)
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain (see Tip)
- Place lemon juice, mustard, anchovies (or anchovy paste) and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add oil; process until creamy. Add 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and pepper; pulse until combined.
- Combine romaine, shrimp and croutons in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates, top with the remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 1) will keep, in a jar in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. Shake vigorously just before tossing with the salad.
- Tip: To make homemade croutons: Toss 1 cup whole-grain bread cubes with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch each of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread out on a baking sheet and toast at 350°F until crispy, turning occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 354 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 241 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 746 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique