While most Caesars drown the greens in a heavy dressing, this lemony version lets the taste of the shrimp shine through. Don't worry about the anchovies - they'll mellow in the dressing, giving it a rich taste that can't be duplicated.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, coarsely chopped, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine, (about 2 hearts)
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-grain (see Tip)
- Place lemon juice, mustard, anchovies (or anchovy paste) and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add oil; process until creamy. Add 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and pepper; pulse until combined.
- Combine romaine, shrimp and croutons in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates, top with the remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 1) will keep, in a jar in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. Shake vigorously just before tossing with the salad.
- Tip: To make homemade croutons: Toss 1 cup whole-grain bread cubes with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch each of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread out on a baking sheet and toast at 350°F until crispy, turning occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 354 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 241 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 746 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique