Shrimp Banh Mi
French colonial rule in Vietnam influenced the country's cooking profoundly, as here with this street-food sandwich (banh mi), usually served on a baguette. The spicy mayo melange really adds tartness and spice.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
- 18 thin slices cucumber
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 153 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 993 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique