Shrimp Banh Mi
French colonial rule in Vietnam influenced the country's cooking profoundly, as here with this street-food sandwich (banh mi), usually served on a baguette. The spicy mayo melange really adds tartness and spice.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
- 18 thin slices cucumber
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 153 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 993 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique