Shrimp Banh Mi
French colonial rule in Vietnam influenced the country's cooking profoundly, as here with this street-food sandwich (banh mi), usually served on a baguette. The spicy mayo melange really adds tartness and spice.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
- 18 thin slices cucumber
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 153 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 993 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)