Shrimp Banh Mi
French colonial rule in Vietnam influenced the country's cooking profoundly, as here with this street-food sandwich (banh mi), usually served on a baguette. The spicy mayo melange really adds tartness and spice.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
- 18 thin slices cucumber
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 153 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 993 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique