Shredded Turkey & Pinto Bean Burritos
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
We created this with leftover turkey in mind. Leftover or rotisserie chicken can also be used. Make it a Meal: Serve with guacamole and chopped jalapeno peppers and/or hot sauce - and a cold cerveza.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 6 10-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas or wraps, warmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and chile powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and lime juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the onions are very soft, 16 to 20 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken) and beans and continue cooking until the mixture is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Divide the turkey-bean mixture among tortillas (or wraps). Top each with cheese and cabbage, roll into burritos and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the filling (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 392 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 38 g protein; 6 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium, Iron & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October/November 2006