Shredded Turkey & Pinto Bean Burritos
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
We created this with leftover turkey in mind. Leftover or rotisserie chicken can also be used. Make it a Meal: Serve with guacamole and chopped jalapeno peppers and/or hot sauce - and a cold cerveza.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 6 10-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas or wraps, warmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and chile powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and lime juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the onions are very soft, 16 to 20 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken) and beans and continue cooking until the mixture is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Divide the turkey-bean mixture among tortillas (or wraps). Top each with cheese and cabbage, roll into burritos and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the filling (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 392 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 38 g protein; 6 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium, Iron & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October/November 2006