Shredded Turkey & Pinto Bean Burritos
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
We created this with leftover turkey in mind. Leftover or rotisserie chicken can also be used. Make it a Meal: Serve with guacamole and chopped jalapeno peppers and/or hot sauce - and a cold cerveza.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 6 10-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas or wraps, warmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and chile powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and lime juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the onions are very soft, 16 to 20 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken) and beans and continue cooking until the mixture is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Divide the turkey-bean mixture among tortillas (or wraps). Top each with cheese and cabbage, roll into burritos and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the filling (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 392 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 38 g protein; 6 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 616 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium, Iron & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October/November 2006