This is a favorite in our household and guests are always ooooooo and ahhhhh. They are easy to prepare ahead of time (and then cook just before eating), they are gorgeous to look at (picky your favorite colors of root veggies), and they taste truly delicious. I've played around with the horseradish and sometimes add more if I know my "audience" likes spicey food. I also add an extra egg to help them hang together.
Shredded Root Vegetable Pancakes
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Red beets and golden carrots look especially festive in these zesty horseradish-and-bacon-flecked cakes. Avoid parsnips, which need to be cored, in this recipe, as trying to shred the smaller cored pieces might result in nicked knuckles. Try the pancakes with seared steaks or make them bite-size for a beautiful appetizer.
5 Reviews for Shredded Root Vegetable Pancakes
Yes I reccomend staying with drier vegetables. I used carrot, beet, rutabaga and turnip and they didn't turn out that well, I should have added more flour. They fell apart and for some reason burnt in the oven and they were only in there for 10 minutes. It justed didn't work for me.
These are so yummy! I added another egg for extra binding and it worked wonderfully!
I tried a 1/2 beet 1/2 carrot mixture and the beets just made it too wet. Stay with the drier root vegetables, and and beet slivers for color.
These are the most excellent pancakes ever! I love a "pretty food"!They're good hot, cold, room temp, at home, or on-the-go. Try substituting dulse (sea vegetable) for a smoky, salty flavor in place of bacon and/or a tiny bit of wasabi for the regular horseradish - yum!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)