Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
A small amount of bacon goes a long way to flavor these very thinly sliced Brussels sprouts—the results may even win over sprout skeptics.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble.
- Add onion and salt to the drippings in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 3 minutes. Add water and mustard and scrape up any browned bits. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar and top with the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 171 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (145% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- October/November 2006