Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
A small amount of bacon goes a long way to flavor these very thinly sliced Brussels sprouts—the results may even win over sprout skeptics.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble.
- Add onion and salt to the drippings in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 3 minutes. Add water and mustard and scrape up any browned bits. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar and top with the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 171 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (145% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006