Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
A small amount of bacon goes a long way to flavor these very thinly sliced Brussels sprouts—the results may even win over sprout skeptics.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble.
- Add onion and salt to the drippings in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 3 minutes. Add water and mustard and scrape up any browned bits. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar and top with the crumbled bacon.
Per serving: 47 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 171 mg sodium; 292 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (145% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- October/November 2006