Shish Kebab with Tahini Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Roasted and grilled meats are ubiquitous throughout the Middle East. This marinade, infused with allspice and cinnamon, would be excellent on lamb or chicken as well. Tuck the grilled chunks of meat and onion into warm whole-wheat pitas.
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- Tahini Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil, salt, allspice, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl. Place beef in a large sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Remove the beef from the bag. (Discard the marinade.) Brush onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Divide the beef among 6 skewers and the onions among the remaining 3 skewers. Grill the onions until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Grill the beef, turning once or twice, until slightly charred but still pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Serve with Tahini Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Nine 12-inch skewers
Per serving: 314 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern
- May/June 2007