Shish Kebab with Tahini Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Roasted and grilled meats are ubiquitous throughout the Middle East. This marinade, infused with allspice and cinnamon, would be excellent on lamb or chicken as well. Tuck the grilled chunks of meat and onion into warm whole-wheat pitas.
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- Tahini Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil, salt, allspice, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl. Place beef in a large sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Remove the beef from the bag. (Discard the marinade.) Brush onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Divide the beef among 6 skewers and the onions among the remaining 3 skewers. Grill the onions until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Grill the beef, turning once or twice, until slightly charred but still pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Serve with Tahini Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Nine 12-inch skewers
Per serving: 314 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern
- May/June 2007