Shish Kebab with Tahini Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Roasted and grilled meats are ubiquitous throughout the Middle East. This marinade, infused with allspice and cinnamon, would be excellent on lamb or chicken as well. Tuck the grilled chunks of meat and onion into warm whole-wheat pitas.
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- Tahini Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil, salt, allspice, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl. Place beef in a large sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Remove the beef from the bag. (Discard the marinade.) Brush onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Divide the beef among 6 skewers and the onions among the remaining 3 skewers. Grill the onions until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Grill the beef, turning once or twice, until slightly charred but still pink in the middle, about 6 minutes. Serve with Tahini Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Nine 12-inch skewers
Per serving: 314 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern
- May/June 2007