Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
A small amount of a full-flavored cheese like Asiago combines with low-fat milk and dry sherry for a sophisticated sauce that stands up to the assertive taste of vegetables like Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice, until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per tablespoon: 40 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique