Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
A small amount of a full-flavored cheese like Asiago combines with low-fat milk and dry sherry for a sophisticated sauce that stands up to the assertive taste of vegetables like Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice, until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per tablespoon: 40 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation