Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
A small amount of a full-flavored cheese like Asiago combines with low-fat milk and dry sherry for a sophisticated sauce that stands up to the assertive taste of vegetables like Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice, until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per tablespoon: 40 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique