From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Tapas are not always fancy—usually they're just a few simple ingredients prepared well, like these tender, juicy mushrooms. Just place a dish of toothpicks next to the serving dish and let guests help themselves.
- 3 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cream sherry, (see Tip)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Clean mushrooms and cut in half (or quarters if large). Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in sherry and garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the juices have evaporated, 10 to 14 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tip: Cream sherry is a fortified wine used to flavor sauces. Find it near other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store. Opened bottles will keep in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 53 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Selenium (14% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007