From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Tapas are not always fancy—usually they're just a few simple ingredients prepared well, like these tender, juicy mushrooms. Just place a dish of toothpicks next to the serving dish and let guests help themselves.
- 3 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cream sherry, (see Tip)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Clean mushrooms and cut in half (or quarters if large). Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in sherry and garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the juices have evaporated, 10 to 14 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tip: Cream sherry is a fortified wine used to flavor sauces. Find it near other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store. Opened bottles will keep in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 53 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Selenium (14% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007