From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Tapas are not always fancy—usually they're just a few simple ingredients prepared well, like these tender, juicy mushrooms. Just place a dish of toothpicks next to the serving dish and let guests help themselves.
- 3 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cream sherry, (see Tip)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Clean mushrooms and cut in half (or quarters if large). Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in sherry and garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the juices have evaporated, 10 to 14 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tip: Cream sherry is a fortified wine used to flavor sauces. Find it near other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store. Opened bottles will keep in a cool, dry place for months.
Per serving: 53 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 145 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Selenium (14% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2007