From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This simple salad of chopped summer vegetables and herbs is typical of country salads served throughout the Mediterranean. It is best served right after mixing, but if you wish to make the salad ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving. Serve with warm pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, if desired, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, (8 scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Crush garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a salad bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, feta, scallions, mint and parsley and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 129 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995