From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This simple salad of chopped summer vegetables and herbs is typical of country salads served throughout the Mediterranean. It is best served right after mixing, but if you wish to make the salad ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving. Serve with warm pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, if desired, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, (8 scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Crush garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a salad bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, feta, scallions, mint and parsley and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 129 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995