From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This simple salad of chopped summer vegetables and herbs is typical of country salads served throughout the Mediterranean. It is best served right after mixing, but if you wish to make the salad ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving. Serve with warm pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, if desired, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, (8 scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Crush garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a salad bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, feta, scallions, mint and parsley and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 129 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1995