From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This simple salad of chopped summer vegetables and herbs is typical of country salads served throughout the Mediterranean. It is best served right after mixing, but if you wish to make the salad ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving. Serve with warm pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, if desired, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, (8 scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Crush garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a salad bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, feta, scallions, mint and parsley and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 129 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995