From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This simple salad of chopped summer vegetables and herbs is typical of country salads served throughout the Mediterranean. It is best served right after mixing, but if you wish to make the salad ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving. Serve with warm pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, if desired, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, (8 scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Crush garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a salad bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper. Add tomatoes, cucumber, feta, scallions, mint and parsley and toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 129 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995