From EatingWell: May/June 2009
This makeover of a Midwestern classic tops layers of lettuce, peas, bell pepper and tomatoes with a creamy, tangy dressing. The salad stays fresh underneath until it's served and gets even better when held overnight.
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes , or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatula is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Sprinkle with basil just before serving.
Per serving: 84 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2009