Sesame Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Toasted sesame oil transforms a humble staple like canned tuna into an elegant supper. We love the crunch of napa cabbage in this salad, but romaine lettuce would also work if you happen to have that on hand.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 5- to 6-ounce cans water-packed chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 4 radishes, julienne-cut or sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk vinegar (or lemon juice), canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ginger in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the dressing with tuna, peas and scallions in a medium bowl.
- Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Mound one-fourth of the tuna mixture (about 1/2 cup) in the center of each plate and garnish with radishes, cilantro and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the remaining dressing (about 2 tablespoons per salad) and season with pepper.
Per serving: 228 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 353 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2010