Sesame Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Toasted sesame oil transforms a humble staple like canned tuna into an elegant supper. We love the crunch of napa cabbage in this salad, but romaine lettuce would also work if you happen to have that on hand.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 5- to 6-ounce cans water-packed chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 4 radishes, julienne-cut or sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk vinegar (or lemon juice), canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ginger in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the dressing with tuna, peas and scallions in a medium bowl.
- Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Mound one-fourth of the tuna mixture (about 1/2 cup) in the center of each plate and garnish with radishes, cilantro and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the remaining dressing (about 2 tablespoons per salad) and season with pepper.
Per serving: 228 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 353 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010