Sesame Tuna Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Toasted sesame oil transforms a humble staple like canned tuna into an elegant supper. We love the crunch of napa cabbage in this salad, but romaine lettuce would also work if you happen to have that on hand.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 5- to 6-ounce cans water-packed chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 4 radishes, julienne-cut or sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk vinegar (or lemon juice), canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ginger in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the dressing with tuna, peas and scallions in a medium bowl.
- Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Mound one-fourth of the tuna mixture (about 1/2 cup) in the center of each plate and garnish with radishes, cilantro and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the remaining dressing (about 2 tablespoons per salad) and season with pepper.
Per serving: 228 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 353 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010