Sesame-Shiitake Bok Choy
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Bok choy's mellow flavor goes beautifully with earthy shiitake mushrooms in this quick stir-fry. Be sure to use toasted rather than plain sesame oil—it has a superior nutty flavor. For a little heat, add a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 2-pound head bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, (9 ounces with stems)
- 2 tablespoons oyster-flavored or oyster sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds. Add bok choy and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring often, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir in oyster sauce, sesame oil and salt. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Oyster sauce is a richly flavored condiment made from oysters and brine. Vegetarian oyster sauces substitute mushrooms for the oysters. Both can be found in large supermarkets or at Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 132 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 1046 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Folate (24% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006