Sesame-Shiitake Bok Choy
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Bok choy's mellow flavor goes beautifully with earthy shiitake mushrooms in this quick stir-fry. Be sure to use toasted rather than plain sesame oil—it has a superior nutty flavor. For a little heat, add a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 2-pound head bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, (9 ounces with stems)
- 2 tablespoons oyster-flavored or oyster sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds. Add bok choy and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring often, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir in oyster sauce, sesame oil and salt. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Oyster sauce is a richly flavored condiment made from oysters and brine. Vegetarian oyster sauces substitute mushrooms for the oysters. Both can be found in large supermarkets or at Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 132 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 1046 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Folate (24% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)