From EatingWell: July/August 2010
In Korea there is an entire category of side dishes called namul. These are boldly seasoned vegetables from the land and the sea. This particular recipe reflects Korea’s love of both spinach and sesame seeds. The seeds are always toasted before serving for a boost of flavor. This namul can be served alone or as one of the colorful elements in bibimbap.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound baby spinach (about 20 cups)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Place water in a very large pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until completely wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let stand until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out excess water.
- Coarsely chop the spinach. Place in a bowl and mix in sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To toast nuts and seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 56 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (183% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Iron & Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010