From EatingWell: July/August 2010
In Korea there is an entire category of side dishes called namul. These are boldly seasoned vegetables from the land and the sea. This particular recipe reflects Korea’s love of both spinach and sesame seeds. The seeds are always toasted before serving for a boost of flavor. This namul can be served alone or as one of the colorful elements in bibimbap.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound baby spinach (about 20 cups)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Place water in a very large pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until completely wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let stand until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out excess water.
- Coarsely chop the spinach. Place in a bowl and mix in sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To toast nuts and seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 56 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (183% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Iron & Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010