Sesame Roasted Mushrooms & Scallions
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of mushrooms. Here they are paired with full-flavored sesame oil, ginger, garlic and scallions. Using a variety of mixed mushrooms makes this dish special (and delicious). Serve with Ginger-Steamed Fish with Troy's Hana-Style Sauce and rice noodles.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake (stemmed), oyster and white, thickly sliced
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar and pepper in a large bowl. Add mushrooms and scallions and toss to coat. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add seeds and stir constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 109 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 205 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation