Sesame Roasted Mushrooms & Scallions
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of mushrooms. Here they are paired with full-flavored sesame oil, ginger, garlic and scallions. Using a variety of mixed mushrooms makes this dish special (and delicious). Serve with Ginger-Steamed Fish with Troy's Hana-Style Sauce and rice noodles.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake (stemmed), oyster and white, thickly sliced
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar and pepper in a large bowl. Add mushrooms and scallions and toss to coat. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add seeds and stir constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Per serving: 109 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 205 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable