Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This quick and healthy dinner pairs creamy tofu and crispy snap peas with a tahini-maple sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar in a small dish until combined. Remove the tofu from the oven, add snap peas and drizzle with the maple sauce; stir to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
Per serving: 192 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2007