Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This quick and healthy dinner pairs creamy tofu and crispy snap peas with a tahini-maple sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar in a small dish until combined. Remove the tofu from the oven, add snap peas and drizzle with the maple sauce; stir to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets.
Per serving: 192 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007