Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This quick and healthy dinner pairs creamy tofu and crispy snap peas with a tahini-maple sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar in a small dish until combined. Remove the tofu from the oven, add snap peas and drizzle with the maple sauce; stir to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets.
Per serving: 192 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007