Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This quick and healthy dinner pairs creamy tofu and crispy snap peas with a tahini-maple sauce. Serve with udon noodles.
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large baking sheet and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup and vinegar in a small dish until combined. Remove the tofu from the oven, add snap peas and drizzle with the maple sauce; stir to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, 8 to 12 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets.
Per serving: 192 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 300 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2007