Sesame-Ginger Pork Patty with Grilled Pineapple
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Ditch the bun and serve this Asian-inspired pork burger with sweet grilled pineapple on top of a zesty watercress-and-carrot salad. We like the taste and texture of fresh pineapple for this recipe, but canned pineapple rings work well too. Serve with short-grain brown rice.
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 pineapple rings, 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups watercress (about 1 large bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Combine soy sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a small bowl. Place pork in a medium bowl. Add half of the sauce mixture to the pork and gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and vinegar to the remaining sauce mixture and set aside.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the pineapple rings to the grill and cook, turning once, until dark grill marks appear.
- Combine watercress and carrot in a large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each portion with a pineapple ring and a burger. Drizzle any remaining sauce on top.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Per serving: 217 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 531 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (75% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2011