Sesame-Crusted Tofu with Spicy Pineapple Noodles
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The tropical flavors of the hot chile-spiked pineapple noodles that accompany the crispy tofu in this dish will take the chill out of any cold day.
- 4 ounces udon noodles, or whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, preferably a mixture of white and black
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 small dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed (see Tip) and cut in half
- 1 6-ounce can pineapple juice, (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 2 teaspoons hot sesame oil
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse well under cold water.
- Mix sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and salt in a shallow dish. Cut the block of tofu lengthwise into 8 thin “steaks.” Pat dry with a paper towel, and press both sides into the sesame-seed mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil. Add ginger, garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add snap peas and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes more. Add pineapple juice, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Whisk the remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch and soy sauce in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, add pineapple, sesame oil and the noodles; toss to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove the chiles. Serve the noodles with the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove the stem and strings at the same time from sugar snap peas, hold the stem between your thumb and index finger, snap and pull down.
Per serving: 444 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 6 g fiber; 739 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Magnesium (28% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)