Sesame-Crusted Tofu over Vegetables
Marinated, sesame-crusted tofu tops a delightful medley of stir-fried vegetables that includes bok choy, bell pepper, scallions and snow peas. The recipe packs enough vegetables that all you need to add is a little short-grain brown rice to make it a meal.
Tofu & Marinade
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin (see Notes) or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce (see Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin or sherry
- 2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy, trimmed and very coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- To prepare tofu & marinade: Fold a clean kitchen towel and place it on a cutting board or large plate. Set tofu on the towel. Put another folded clean towel over the tofu and place a flat, heavy weight (such as a skillet) on top; drain for 30 minutes.
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin (or sherry), chile-garlic sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Cut the drained tofu into 1-inch cubes. Add to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Whisk water (or broth), soy sauce, mirin (or sherry), chile-garlic sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To stir-fry tofu & vegetables: Toss the tofu with sesame seeds in a large bowl. Heat 1 teaspoons peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning often, until golden and crusty, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoons peanut oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bok choy, bell pepper, scallions and snow peas; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Make a well in the vegetables; whisk the reserved sauce and add to the center of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring, until thickened. Toss the vegetables with the sauce. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and top with the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with other Asian ingredients.
- A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, chile-garlic sauce is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili- garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 232 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 1006 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (172% daily value), Vitamin A (171% dv), Calcium (44% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (29% dv), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other