Sesame-Crusted Tofu over Vegetables
Marinated, sesame-crusted tofu tops a delightful medley of stir-fried vegetables that includes bok choy, bell pepper, scallions and snow peas. The recipe packs enough vegetables that all you need to add is a little short-grain brown rice to make it a meal.
Tofu & Marinade
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin (see Notes) or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce (see Notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin or sherry
- 2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy, trimmed and very coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- To prepare tofu & marinade: Fold a clean kitchen towel and place it on a cutting board or large plate. Set tofu on the towel. Put another folded clean towel over the tofu and place a flat, heavy weight (such as a skillet) on top; drain for 30 minutes.
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin (or sherry), chile-garlic sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Cut the drained tofu into 1-inch cubes. Add to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Whisk water (or broth), soy sauce, mirin (or sherry), chile-garlic sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To stir-fry tofu & vegetables: Toss the tofu with sesame seeds in a large bowl. Heat 1 teaspoons peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning often, until golden and crusty, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoons peanut oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bok choy, bell pepper, scallions and snow peas; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Make a well in the vegetables; whisk the reserved sauce and add to the center of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring, until thickened. Toss the vegetables with the sauce. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and top with the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with other Asian ingredients.
- A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, chile-garlic sauce is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili- garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 232 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 1006 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (172% daily value), Vitamin A (171% dv), Calcium (44% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (29% dv), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation