Malaysian Seitan, Broccoli & Mushroom Fried Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy vegetarian fried rice recipe, seitan, broccoli and mushrooms are tossed with creamy coconut milk and reduced-sodium soy sauce for a delicious one-bowl dinner. If you don’t have leftover cooked rice on hand, be sure to thoroughly cool your rice before adding it to the wok—if it’s too warm, it creates too much steam and sticks to the wok. To quickly cool warm rice, spread out on a large baking sheet and refrigerate while you prep the rest of your ingredients, about 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces seitan “strips” (see Tip), patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced shitake mushroom caps
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large flat-bottomed carbon-steel wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until fully cooked on one side, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until just cooked through, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok along with scallions, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until scallions have softened, about 30 seconds. Add seitan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broccoli and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the contents of the wok to a large plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok; add rice and stir until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. As you stir, pull the rice from the bottom to the top so it all gets coated with oil and evenly cooked.
- Return the seitan, vegetables and eggs to the wok; add coconut milk and soy sauce and stir until well combined.
Tips & Notes
- Seitan is processed wheat gluten that is high in protein and has a meaty texture. It can be found in health-food stores or large supermarkets near the tofu. For our stir-fry recipe, look for unseasoned seitan “strips” or “cubes” rather than flavored seitan.
Per serving: 337 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 552 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)