Seaweed & Tofu Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Korean meals always include soups—like this mild one based on vitamin-rich wakame seaweed, the same kind often used in miso soup.
- 1/4 cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as wakame or kelp (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup diced strip steak (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white miso (see Note), or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced firm tofu
- Place seaweed in a medium bowl, cover with water and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Combine steak (if using), scallions, garlic, sesame oil and pepper in another bowl.
- Warm a medium saucepan over high heat and add the scallion mixture. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups water and miso. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid does not boil. Whisk to dissolve the miso.
- Drain the seaweed and stir it into the soup along with tofu. Cook over medium-low for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with more miso, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for wakame in natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
- Note: Miso is fermented bean paste made from barley, rice or soybeans used to add flavor to dishes such as soups, sauces and salad dressings. It is available in different colors, depending on the type of grain or bean and how long it’s been fermented. In general, the lighter the color, the more mild the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for at least a year.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010