Seaweed & Tofu Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Korean meals always include soups—like this mild one based on vitamin-rich wakame seaweed, the same kind often used in miso soup.
- 1/4 cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as wakame or kelp (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup diced strip steak (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white miso (see Note), or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced firm tofu
- Place seaweed in a medium bowl, cover with water and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Combine steak (if using), scallions, garlic, sesame oil and pepper in another bowl.
- Warm a medium saucepan over high heat and add the scallion mixture. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups water and miso. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid does not boil. Whisk to dissolve the miso.
- Drain the seaweed and stir it into the soup along with tofu. Cook over medium-low for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with more miso, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for wakame in natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
- Note: Miso is fermented bean paste made from barley, rice or soybeans used to add flavor to dishes such as soups, sauces and salad dressings. It is available in different colors, depending on the type of grain or bean and how long it’s been fermented. In general, the lighter the color, the more mild the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for at least a year.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010