Seaweed & Tofu Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Korean meals always include soups—like this mild one based on vitamin-rich wakame seaweed, the same kind often used in miso soup.
- 1/4 cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as wakame or kelp (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup diced strip steak (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white miso (see Note), or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced firm tofu
- Place seaweed in a medium bowl, cover with water and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Combine steak (if using), scallions, garlic, sesame oil and pepper in another bowl.
- Warm a medium saucepan over high heat and add the scallion mixture. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups water and miso. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid does not boil. Whisk to dissolve the miso.
- Drain the seaweed and stir it into the soup along with tofu. Cook over medium-low for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with more miso, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for wakame in natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
- Note: Miso is fermented bean paste made from barley, rice or soybeans used to add flavor to dishes such as soups, sauces and salad dressings. It is available in different colors, depending on the type of grain or bean and how long it’s been fermented. In general, the lighter the color, the more mild the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for at least a year.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010