Seaweed & Tofu Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Korean meals always include soups—like this mild one based on vitamin-rich wakame seaweed, the same kind often used in miso soup.
- 1/4 cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as wakame or kelp (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup diced strip steak (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white miso (see Note), or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced firm tofu
- Place seaweed in a medium bowl, cover with water and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Combine steak (if using), scallions, garlic, sesame oil and pepper in another bowl.
- Warm a medium saucepan over high heat and add the scallion mixture. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups water and miso. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid does not boil. Whisk to dissolve the miso.
- Drain the seaweed and stir it into the soup along with tofu. Cook over medium-low for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with more miso, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for wakame in natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
- Note: Miso is fermented bean paste made from barley, rice or soybeans used to add flavor to dishes such as soups, sauces and salad dressings. It is available in different colors, depending on the type of grain or bean and how long it’s been fermented. In general, the lighter the color, the more mild the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for at least a year.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010